Dating alfred meakin marks
As understanding and information increase, a comprehensive and accurate price guide can be catalogued which will give collectors and dealers alike the bigger picture of Myott. Limited, a typical family run business based in the Staffordshire Potteries, England, operated in one form or another for 93 years.
Established in 1898, the factory traded to 1902 at the Alexander Pottery, Stoke-on-Trent, Wolfe Street (sometimes referred to as the Wolfe Street Pottery).
With an autumnal palette (hues popularised by the Art Deco movement of the 1920’s and 1930s) and bold slabs of applied collour and naïve, almost careless washes, Myott pieces are highly distinctive and unique in Twentieth Century ceramics.
Once you have seen a few pieces of hand-painted Myott you will become accustomed to spotting the distinctive style of other Myott pieces with ease.
It seems incredible that a majority of books published on Art Deco (whether specifically ceramic orientated or not) do not feature or even mention the works of the Myott family and associate designers, who were by no means insignificant in the Potteries area in Staffordshire during the period between the First and Second World Wars in which the Myott Collectors Club is primarily interested.
However, the last five years or so have seen a dramatic increase in the value of Myott 'art wares', especially with respect to Art Deco designs and geometric patterns.
Or maybe it was a case of colour availability or perhaps stability as many of the pieces suffer from paint flaking and glaze crazing which reduces value considerably.
It appears that Myott’s ‘art’ has been shrouded by a lack of knowledge and understanding, and veiled with anonymity.
Anonymity caused, not only by the reported destruction of the pattern books, but by the invariably unsigned nature of the pieces.
The brothers then moved to a purpose built five-oven factory - the Brownfield's Works in Cobridge, north of Stoke-on-Trent - extending their works to the adjacent Upper Hanley pottery (purchased from Grimwades) in 1925 to form collectively the Alexander Potteries.
After the expansion of 1925, in addition to their traditional ceramic tableware production, the company began producing in the 1930s an extensive range of hand-painted Art Deco wares.